Santa Clarita Car Accident Attorney
Caring Representation in SCV from a Skilled Legal Team
Car accidents are among the leading causes of death and injury in the United States of America. If you’ve been involved in a car accident, it’s important that you know what to do. Getting a Santa Clarita car accident attorney involved in your case as soon as possible helps tremendously with the recovery process.
The Law Office of Robert J. Kaiser can be instrumental in ensuring that your rights are upheld and that you obtain the maximum compensation for your case. With more than 20 years of experience, our skilled attorney and team of legal professionals can aggressively advocate on your behalf. Focus on recovery while we take care of the legal details!
Some statistics about car accidents in Santa Clarita:
- Seven of California's most dangerous intersections are located in SCV
- 44 fatal car accidents were recorded in Santa Clarita from 2013 - 2017
- 34% of fatal car accidents in Santa Clarita from 2013 - 2017 involved a drunk driver
- 15 pedestrians were involved in fatal accidents in Santa Clarita from 2013 - 2017
Begin a free case evaluation with our SCV auto accident firm today! Call (661) 441-3446 to get started.
What to Do After a Car Accident
Your actions after a car accident can have an impact on your ability to recover compensation. It is important to stay calm and have a plan in place to ensure your interests are protected.
If you have been involved in a car accident, be sure to do the following:
- Stop and render aid to any injured parties - never flee the scene!
- Call for an ambulance if anyone is seriously injured.
- Call the police and report the crash.
- Take detailed photographs of all vehicle damage, injuries, and road conditions.
- Exchange names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, insurance policy information, and license plate numbers with all involved drivers.
- Tell the police your version of the events and do not admit fault.
- See a doctor as soon as possible after the crash, even if you feel fine.
- Inform your insurance company of the crash promptly after the collision.
- Contact an attorney and explore your legal options.
Causes of Auto Accidents
The causes of car accidents are as unique as the people that are involved. Whether you were hit by a drunk driver or experienced an accident due to poor roadway design, our firm can capably represent your rights.
Car accidents are commonly caused by:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Defective vehicle manufacturing
- Poor road conditions
- Running red lights or stop signs
- Failing to obey traffic laws
- Driver fatigue
- And more
Car accidents can result in serious, even catastrophic injuries. It takes a skilled legal team to recover compensation that will cover your bills and expenses, setting you on the road to recovery and a secure financial future.
Who Is Responsible for Your Accident?
California operates under a traditional tort system for car accidents, meaning that party or parties who are at fault for a collision are also financially responsible for the resulting damages. Determining liability may not always be so straightforward, however, as multiple parties may share some level of fault for a collision. To find out exactly how your accident occurred and who is responsible, your attorney will need collect and analyze a variety of evidence related to your crash including eyewitness testimony, surveillance footage, police reports, and vehicle "black box" data.
Depending on the circumstances, you may have grounds to file a claim against:
- The other driver or drivers: Driver error is perhaps the most common cause of accidents. Speeding, changing lanes without checking blind spots, or driving while intoxicated are just some of the many negligent acts which can cause drivers to be liable for a crash.
- Auto manufacturers: Some crashes are caused by a defect in a vehicle or its parts, such as faulty brakes or defective tire blowouts. In these cases, you may be able to file a product liability claim against the manufacturer in pursuit of compensation.
- Local governments: Some roadways are inherently dangerous due to poor design or maintenance and have a high risk of collisions. While it may be difficult to prove, you may be able to hold a government agency liable for any collisions which result from negligent planning or road maintenance.
What If the Other Driver Was Uninsured?
If you were hit by a driver who did not have insurance or whose insurance was insufficient to cover the full value of your damages, you may still be able to secure compensation from your own insurance company under your own policy if you elected to purchase uninsured or underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage. Unlike liability coverage which pays others in the event of a crash, UM/UIM coverage pays you and your injured passengers for your medical bills and other losses in the event that you are hit by a driver without insurance or are the victim of a hit and run accident. Insurers in California are required by law to offer drivers UM/UIM coverage, though it is not mandatory and drivers can waive this coverage. Since California has the largest number of uninsured drivers in the state, purchasing UM/UIM coverage is usually a good idea.
If you do not have UM/UIM coverage, you may still be able to file a lawsuit against the responsible driver in pursuit of compensation. Unfortunately, uninsured drivers tend to have fewer assets and lower income than insured drivers, making it difficult to actually collect on any judgments you may receive. It is best to discuss your situation with a skilled attorney to determine the most appropriate course of action.
Comparative Negligence Laws in California
Whole some states require an injured party to be completely free of blame for an accident in order to recover damages, California does not follow this rule. Injured parties in California may still collect damages even if they are found to be 99% at fault for the crash. With that being said, their eligible compensation will be reduced according to their proportion of fault. This is known as "pure comparative negligence." For example, if you suffered $10,000 worth of damages in a crash but are found to be 40% at fault, you will only be able to recover $6,000 (or $10,000 less 40%).
Insurance companies are intimately familiar with these rules and will use this knowledge to minimize the amount of money they will have to pay after a crash. An attorney that understands how comparative negligence laws works can ensure you are not unfairly blamed for the crash and help you seek every penny of your entitled compensation.
Car Accident Lawsuit Statute of Limitations in California
California law places different deadlines on the amount of time a car accident victim has to file a civil claim for damages. The statute of limitations for personal injury claims related to car accidents in California is two-years, while property damage claims must be filed within three years. This "clock" begins on the date of your collision. For cases involving wrongful death, this clock begins on the date of the person's death, if it is different from the date of the accident.
If the statute of limitations expires, you may lose your right to seek compensation for your injuries. Since memories can fade and evidence can be lost as time passes, it is important to act quickly after a crash to adhere to all applicable deadlines and maximize your chances of recovery.
No Fees Unless We Win
Nobody should be prevented from seeking justice after an injury due to their inability to afford an attorney. At the Law Office of Robert J. Kaiser, we operate on a contingency fee basis, meaning that we will not charge you a dime unless we are successful. This ensures that our interests are always aligned with our clients and provides them with much-needed peace of mind.
Call (661) 441-3446 to Speak with a Santa Clarita Car Accident Lawyer!
After an accident, you need representation from someone who will take your needs and circumstances seriously. The team at the Law Office of Robert J. Kaiser can do just that. We don’t believe in one-size-fits-all cases or in distant representation. We provide you with the individualized support you need to get the results you deserve.
Hear From People We've Helped
Contact us today to begin your journey to just compensation!